Hendrik & Fay wrote:
> Roadside assistance, yeah dream on unless you buy a new MB or pay a
> squillion bucks a year.

Back in the day, our cars cost as much in $US as the German models
(with fewer standard features) cost in Deutchmarks.
For example, my 1979 300SD was a $27,000 car, my 1986 2.3-16 was a
$35,000 car. I like to think that our exorbitant prices at the time
earned us more standard features and special services like free
roadside assistance, as well as substandard horsepower. (my 2.3-16
was rated at 167HP, not 185PS)

How much did the cars cost over there 20-30 years ago?

Speaking of car prices, what would it cost to import a used German
car from UK to AU? The lovely S124 300TE that they destroyed on BBC's
Top Gear was purchased from a used car dealer for 795 Sterling
if I recall correctly, at a time when it equaled about $1200 US.
(now 800 Sterling = 1600 US, but a 124 gasser wagon is probably
worth 500-600 Sterling now)

> the average yank can't even
> remember that their car runs on fuel and needs this replenished at
> regular intervals? One day they'll forget to fill the space shuttle.

That would be one way to keep it from exploding.

Mitch.