Hursty et al,
I grew up in NYC near Times Square and before my voice changed sang in the
boy's choir at the Met Opera, which was on 40th street and 7th avenue
(garment district) in those days.  My parents didn't think twice about
letting me find my way home on the subway or bus after evening performances,
usually between 10 and 11 pm.  I did this between the ages of 7 and 11.  It
might have helped that my older brother had done the same thing for a couple
years before I started singing.  Throughout elementary school and junior
high I basically went everywhere on my own or with a friend.  By the time I
reached high school things had changed and I was very careful about going on
the subways after dark.

ALS

Diesel content:  Our only car was a 1945 Pontiac that we purchased for $100,
kept a year, and then sold in 1956 for $25.00.