the M16 just never works out in this modern age.  you just get dragged off
to jail and/or the looney bin.  people you don't even remember ever meeting
come of of the woodwork and tell the news how they knew hans would snap long
ago.  the shop still keeps your car.

due to the bimby business, i have had some contact with mechanics of the
sort who do not actually practice their trade as a professional business.
as they have no tax id number, most wholesale houses will not sell to them.
or perhaps they buy in such small volume that they can still buy cheaper
from us than from the wholesaler.

i've had the following conversation on more than one occassion.

"yeah, i need a fuel distributor for that car i've been working on"
"why do you think that?"
"well, i replaced a, b and c and that didn't fix it, so it has to be the
fuel distributor"
"no it doesn't, but i'll send you one anyway"

ok, so then he installs the fuel distributor and it doesn't help.  but he
has 500 in that part and his customer has 800 in it. so he actually does the
work and really figures out what the problem is.  costs $3 to fix.  car runs
great.  customer has spend $1500 for a part requiring a $3 part and 2 hours
of real diagnostics and thinks his mechanic is a genius.

i cant tell you a one of stories like this.

auto repair is a pretty crooked enterprise.  know who you are dealing with
and pay attention.