code would require a GFIC device on
the receptacles with the unfinished concrete floor. I located it hidden
behind stacks of moving boxes.

Exactly my guess as I was reading through it!  One time, it happened to my
sister.  I was in her upstairs bathroom and found that the outlet above the
sink didn't work.  I found the GFI button on it and pushed it.  I then heard
the sound of a shop vac down in the garage followed by,  "What did you do up
there because it's fixed now!!"  Apparently, something had tripped the GFI,
and the shop vac didn't work.

Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
1983 300SD 266Kmi, Ursula