Gee...

For some reason this reminded me of a story.. as an electrical contractor.

Couple bought a house. After moving in the wife discovered the freezer in
the basement had quit working and the contents had spoiled. (Not a large
loss.) She tells the husband who discovers that none of the electrical
receptacles in that area of the basement were working. The rather "dominant"
wife (SWMBO) incites the husband. Rather than simply look into the
homeowner's warranty, they go straight for the "big guns" and have their
attorney send registered letters to the real estate agents. Communication is
pretty much broken down with no attempt to simply solve the problem first.

The previous owners have moved out of town but the new homeowners try to
engage the original builder with accusations of "faulty wiring" etc. Never
mind that the house now two years old passed all inspections. As a favor to
the general contractor I agreed to make a polite service call just to see if
there was a simple solution. The homeowners wouldn't allow me to enter on
the first trip but insisted that both real estate agents had to be present.
The new homeowners are satisfied with nothing less than "we'll sue!!!"

What did I discover? It was obvious that code would require a GFIC device on
the receptacles with the unfinished concrete floor. I located it hidden
behind stacks of moving boxes. The husband had plugged an extension cord
into an outdoor receptacle which was protected by the same device. When he
had plugged his block heater in on his diesel the frayed cord on the car had
caused the device to trip.

I was amused! All that was necessary was to press the reset button on the
device. Imagine everyone's response, the appetite for "crow" ..his pennance
of having to live with that "barracuda."

What added to the amusement was that the husband didn't realise that the
hard cold morning starts were related to his block heater not getting
electricity and was blaming the mechanic, trying to hold him liable for the
problem with the car.