Hey Bob, I couldn't help but correct "lien" as well.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bob Hamilton
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:30 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] Mechanics lien - need advice

I am Executive Director at the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council (AMVIC).
We license 6000 businesses that are
selling and repairing vehicles in the province of Alberta.  We also register
9000 sales people.  We have 15
investigators that mediate consumer complaints.  We are funded by the licensing
fees that we levy.  Our function
used to be done by the Provincial government - they weren't doing a great job
at it so between them and industry,
AMVIC got created in 1999.  Our mediation last year added up to about $4
million.  We refuse to grant licenses and
cancel them as well.  We lay charges for operating without a license.

So, if you were in Alberta, you would complain to us, we would assign an
investigator and he would find some common
ground.  If the business has committed a fraud, he can lay a charge under the
Criminal Code.

We have found that since we were formed, industry has learned that there is a
fairly significant consequence if
they "cross the line".  I am certainly not naïve enough to think that it is
fixed but I think we are making an
impact in making businesses more honest and making them think twice before they
"pad" a repair.

Most states have a consumer affairs type office that performs a function
similar to us - I don't know them well but
that might be an avenue to explore.

And I am progressing quite nicely in the restoration of my 67 200D (pictures at
bottom link below).   .....   Bob

Bob Hamilton  O|||||||O
*  (780) 462-0860
7  (780) 462-0633  FAX
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]<BLOCKED::mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
*  www.amvic.org<BLOCKED::http://www.amvic.org>
*  http://picasaweb.google.com/hamibob