Allan wrote:<<Why not just report the
illegal job sites to immigration authorities?>>

Because that means someone has to catch them doing work - as it is now, the
legal contractors hear about inferior work a month or more after the work is
done & the owner wants it fixed.  Then, when talking to the owner, they say
something about the workers not being very professional.  Maybe the person
having the work done could do that?   No, they won;t risk losing that $10K
contractor and having another do it for $30 k or $40k.   It has to be done
another way.

You also said <Building inspection sign-offs were a
> formality.  The county inspector would come out, take a sweeping
> glance around, and sign it off, and be gone <>

Unfortunately that won;t get caught until/unless the house burns down
because of shortcuts. Of course, it may last 100 years..

It's a tough problem -

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.