Maybe he did real nice work and it was readily obvious.

I added onto my house a number of years ago. I hired the foundation and the
drywall taping and the exterior stucco,
but I did all of the rest myself. The electrical inspector came to look before
we put up the wallboard. He noted
one thing that I did and asked how I knew to do it. I told him I had worked as
an electrician's helper during
summers while in highschool. He became a whole lot more relaxed once he learned
that I had some idea how to do it.
I think I did a much neater job than an electrician would have because it was
my house and no one was pushing me to
get it done fast. I had time to put in an extra staple here and there etc.

Randy