In a message dated 1/24/2008 10:56:53 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What's  in hydraulic jack oil that makes it special?  Is it more like
motor  oil, or more like ATF?  Out of desperation I put some motor oil
from a  random bottle lying around into an old jack that I needed RIGHT
THEN.   I think it was Quaker State 10W40 conventional.  The jack
seemed to  work fine. Will I regret it?  Is the jack now ruined  and
unsafe?

I used ATF for 20 years in my floor jack.. As mentioned, ATF is a  kind of
hdraulic fluid.  Engine oil is fine too.  The anti  foaming qualities of
hydraulic fluid are an important  consideration.  But a floor jack is not
likely to
suffer from  foaming.   MORE  IMPORTANT: Do not keep hydraulic fluid around
where someone can mistakenly used it for brake fluid.  It will eat the  brake
seals, and your brakes will fail.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ