From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of dave walton
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 1:59 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT, computers again

You can count on Dell to use non-standard motherboards, power
supplies, and cases. I have stopped using then for rackmount systems
too. They are good for a cheap desktop in an office.
One customer bought a couple rackmount Dells that are supposed to take
8 hard drives. The drive caddies were not included and Dell wanted
over $100 each just for the caddies - unless you bought them from Dell
with a hard dive and paid over $150 for a 250Gig drive. The street
price is ~ $50 for that drive. Dell is a bit behind the curve.

Kmart had a deal with Lindows a while back for low-end systems. I
think they call it Linspire or something else now.

-Dave Walton

On Jan 27, 2008 1:30 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Been looking into the computer upgrade thing. As I posted before, I
> always custom ordered what I wanted as far as processor, memory etc then
> just transfer my other hardware over.  Im getting a big headache trying
> to figure out what processor is what, what memory is what etc.  Ran thru
> a few options and it seems its as expensive if not more than what is on
> sale at best buy or whatever.  So would it seem I am better off just
> buying whatever is on sale that fits my needs?  Any certain brands to
> look for?  Do they sell them at the store that do not have a bunch of
> crap preloaded on there?  I hate buying those computers that already
> have half their space used up by preloaded crap I will never use.
> Another aspect I like of not buying the store computers is the fact that
>   the cases etc are not always standard.  With the custom ordered
> barebones deals, you can swap whatever you want at any point.  Power
> supplies are standard, drive bays, etc.  Stuff like that.  Anyway,
> enough rambling, thoughts?  Most of these store bought systems come with
> Vista now.  Is that a good thing or should I just look on ebay and buy
> something there that may or may not have an OS installed?
> --
> Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
>   94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic,
>   91 300D, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 89 260E, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
>   84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 81 380SLC, 80 240D, 76 240D,
>   76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250

3:45 PM