On Feb 13, 2008 11:33 AM, carbucks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good point. They get similar fuel mileage to the older diesels and have
> better performance. The 300SDs are fine on the highway, but have trouble
> keeping up with some city traffic.

Martin, have you driven an early-'90s diesel Jetta wagon?  Based on my
experience with a 2001 New Beetle TDI I'd say the opposite would be
true of them, for what it's worth---they are great city cars with
plenty of zip right off the line (mostly due to the
variable-displacement turbo, I think), but run out of steam fast on
the highway.  Also, as John R. pointed out, the driveability and feel
are quite different.  I would much rather take my W124 on a long trip
than any VW---the seats are better and road noise is less despite
20-year-old door seals!

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.