You will need to factor in some difference in the odometer too if you put
larger diameter tires on it. One would
think that the difference if the circumference of the tires is changed by a
couple of inches is not going to be
worth much in terms of mileage. Might not make it much fun to drive either.

Many years ago my father had a Ford pickup with a 352 cid V8. He swapped in a
240 cid inline 6. Mileage improved as
the gearing in the truck was intended for the V8. The truck was fine when it
got up to speed but a bit of a dog at
lower speeds. It wasn't a good idea to load it heavy and need to pull away
uphill. It was a manual 3 speed with the
column shift. Had to slip the clutch pretty good if there was any load just to
get it moving. Not something I would
do again as I don't think the mileage increase was worth the sacrifice in
performance. If one really wants better
fuel economy, I think the answer is to acquire a smaller and therefore
hopefully, more efficient vehicle rather
than to start messing with this sort of thing. The engineers generally have a
pretty good idea of what will work
well and what won't. Second guessing them is expensive and seldom all that
successful.

Randy