On my 82 300SD with 298k miles, it was a combination of a vac pump
that wasn't pulling spec vaccum and a crack in the brake vacuum can.
Symptoms exactly as you describe. New pump and repaired (via epoxy)
brake vac can fixed it. Warn't cheap, but it worked. I'd get a shop
to check the vac pump vac directly. If it's in spec, then chase the
leaks. If it's not, you'll need a new one anyway. It gets nerve
racking not knowing whether you have  brake assist or not.

Dan