In a message dated 3/31/2008 12:49:34 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What is  the spec on the vacuum pump?  On mine, with everything but the
brake  booster disconnected, my Mity-Vac was showing about 23" or  so.

The testing value for the brake booster is 0.75 to 0.80 bar.  using  30" Hg
as one bar would put you right at 22-23"Hg
Gas engines  typically idle at 18-20" Hg, and drop well below that at WOT.
That's why  the brake booster, and the other systems, have check valves and
reservoirs  to save some of that good vacuum.   I have seen more than  one
vacuum
pump on my 79 300SD pull 20" at idle.  This within a few seconds  of start up.
 All the AC and brakes will work fine down to 10-12" or  so.

I believe you have an intermittent failure at the vacuum pump.  A  sticking
check valve (my guess)or a cracked diaphragm.  Chuck's (80 300SD)  problem was
intermittent and then became worse until he had them change the  vacuum pump.
I have to say that shop people get lucky and fix something by  accident,
sometimes, and they sure as hell aren't going to say what it was right  after
sticking on a new $400 vacuum pump on a car worth 3K.

Let us all know what fixes this!  Good luck!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles
98 ML 320, 155 K  miles