This is one of those arguments that can go round and around in circles,
sure this scenario can happen but it can also be argued that by the time
you get the weapon out of it's storage, find the ammo and load it, the
baddies have you overpowered and (in case they where not already) are
now armed with your weapon.
Also most people don't shoot or shoot and miss when it comes to the
crunch, the British army did a study a few years ago and found that less
than 5% of it's soldiers are capable of killing.
Thankfully I live in a civilized part of the world and the worst crime
that happens around here is that some bored kids steal a wheelie bin or
spray graffiti around the place.
Of course we do get home invasions but 99 out of a hundred it is to do
with drugs or payback between criminals.
I don't know but don't you folks over there ever wonder why you need to
be armed to the teeth to supposedly defend yourself from bad guys? Is it
a hang over from the wild west, is it a greed thing or just a freak of
nature that there are so many weirdos wanting to harm decent citizens?

Hendrik