Samsung, best value for price/performance.  LCD, 1080P, contrast ratio
10,000 or better, look for at least 2 HDMI inputs (what all vid stuff is
moving to) and a tuner (which I think they all have now)..  I got a 32"
Vizio a few months back, the software/hardware locked up on some
channels, picture was not that good, but it was the low-price bedroom
option.  Swapped for the 32" Samsung and another $200, difference was
perceptible to my wife (!!!) and it has been flawless.  The new ones
that just arrived have a better processor so you don't get motion
artifacts as badly.

Think about a Blu-Ray DVD player around Christmas, now that the std has
sorted out prices will probably be pretty low by then.  The tuner will
get you over-the-air HD channels and when all switch to digital next
year it will work too.  If you have cable or sat, that will give you
lots and lots of HD channels, some in the clear on the cable (and the
sat box too maybe?), lots more through a box.

--R