The newer screens have dynamic contrast, its just a hack but is quite
noticeable. LCD's are alot more competitive with plasma these days. I
would say plasma will be all by phased out sooner than later due to
production costs vs that of LCD. Still no true black for LCD but pretty
darn close. Samsung also makes panels for other manufacturers, I saw a
Zenith? or some other US brand with a samsung screen for 200 less than
that of the same sized samsung. Just make sure its an 8bit panel.

-Rolf