That is a tough call.  I'd be inclined to be on the phone to the
district guy or higher.  None of the options are too rosey.  Why
don't you fix the brakes on your 240D and run it?  Seems to me that
someone on the list gave me guff because i called an engine with a
timing belt a piece of crap.  I stand by my position, though.  Even
MB single row chains generally made it over 100k.  Fortunately that
was a fairly short-lived experiment.

our experience with GM junk ended with the 60s engines.  Dad bought a
new 64 30 series truck with a 6 cyl.  The bores were too badly egged
out by 60 k or so that the block could not even be rebuilt.  Then
there was the van, also with a 6 cyl, but it made it to 80k or so
with the pistons slapping away.  It was sold and he bought a 68 chevy
van with a 307 v-8.  Well, guess what?  That engine was a soft block
too and crapped out at about 50 k...  My brother rebuilt a 327 and
put in the van then.  After that it ran ok.

At 02:24 PM 4/28/2008, you wrote:
>back in the day, my family bought nothing but GM products.  then one day my
>dad bought one of those 3 box caprices, brand new from hub chevrolet in the
>bronx.  it was a damn nice car!
>
>this was about the time when GM decided to put the THM200 transmission
>designed for the chevette on full sized cars as they discovered that they
>were much cheaper than the THM350 and would be likely to last the 12 month
>warranty period.  naturally, they all failed.  and then the Chevy dealer
>would blame you for that failure and tell you they've never heard of it
>happening to anyone else.
>
>And that ended dad's relationship with GM
>
>fast forward a quarter century.  jabba ends up buying a new saturn.  GM
>takes an ancient 4 cylinder engine and spruces it up, calling it "ecotec".
>someone decides that rather than use a robust timing chain setup, they slap
>on the bike chain and use a way too small oiler for it.  timing chains snap
>at an alarming rate but the saturn dealer tells people it's their fault and
>they have never heard of this happening before.
>
>pretty much all of these chains will fail and the NHTSA will recall them in
>small doses to appease the masses.  so far they've recalled about 20k cars
>with the hope that the rest will all snap and they won't have to recall
>anymore.  mine misses the recall by like 10 engines.
>
>i only have 54k miles on the car (it's a 2001) as i don't drive it much as i
>don't want the timing chain to snap.  the car only worth about 3,000 to 3500
>now.  i've run nothing but mobil 1 5w30 from new and changed it every 3k
>miles.  would you:
>
>1.  just pay a grand and have the timing chain recall upgrade done privately
>2.  keep playing russian roulette, driving the car 5k miles a year and waits
>for mine to be recalled thinking the mobil 1 will save me anyway
>3.  take 3 grand and trade it for a real car
>
>needless to say, my relationship with general motors is now also finished.
>after 50 years of the same nonsense, i'm a little surprised they have any
>customers at all.

Loren Faeth