Internal type, which is a copy of the Klann but mucho cheapero.
Bought it off ebay in the states.
The aftermarket manual I have for the 201 chassis shows them using an
external set of spring compressors, guess that would work if they are
heavy duty enough but the way I figure it, by the time I have done the
front end and rear in the 190E + the front of the 123 I will have paid
for the tool by not having to take the car to a workshop and pay them to
do the whole job, plus I also save on medical expenses/damage to the
vehicle by going the safe route.
Well I will confess that I have removed springs with a cheap set of
external compressors but never again, not worth the risk as I have seen
what happens when they slip off the spring.

Hendrik
the tool with tools