Yes the pressing in of the ball joint is a job for an experienced
person, from what I understand if they go in crooked the only way to get
them out is with a gas axe.
Also you wanna be careful bashing things with a BFH, sometimes things
end up bent or otherwise broken. Just about every decent workshop must
have a hydraulic press to get a ball joint out.
Specially these days with insurance.
False economics, using a dangerous method to save on the cost of a
$300-400 hydraulic press.
Imagine if the ball peen had shattered and took out his eye.

Hendrik