With the help of Luther's magic pin pulling tool, we got the head off
today. you can see from the photos (if Kaleb approves them), that the
head and block look good. It was very oily between #1 and the chain
vault. Both sides of the gasket were wet and so were the head and
block. There is one photo of #3 or 4 cyl gasket area for reference.
I'd wiped the oil off the head and block before I took the photos, so
those are the cleaner areas in the photos.

Although we haven't cleaned the head for re-assembly, I don't see any
cracking anywhere. I also don't see signs of the head being brnt or
eroded from combustion gases - which I did expect to see. The PO
(Richard) drove it this way for a couple of years!
It doesn't look very carboned up to me, though it's been a LONG time
since I've seen a Diesel head off an engine.

I see from the EPC that there have been several versions of this head
gasket over the years, adding extra sealing aroung coolant and oil
ports, etc.

What are the current thoughts about gasket sealants on head gaskets?
This one did not have any on it, though it's probably original with
200k miles..

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK