Peter - lots of good ideas, though the politics won't work yet. May your
tribe increase.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Peter Frederick
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:50 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Another reason to stay home

Well, there is a solution (actually, the same one I've been
suggesting for 30 years or more....)

Stop building roads, of any kind, at once.  Spend the highway trust
fund money on de-suburbanization -- for an example, take a look at
any community near a large city built before 1948 -- a main street
with a commercial district and the mass transit line (bus, trolley,
etc) down the middle, with housing varying from inexpensive mulitple
unit near the main street to high dollar large lot single family at
the outside.

Require banks to quit financing new construction at better rates than
existing homes (if you haven't noticed, the vast majority of
"subprime" loans are for city housing....)

Stop zoning for parking.  Anywhere, any place, any time.

Nationalize the railbeds (not the railroads, just the rails
themselves -- note that the Railroads currently pay property tax on
the roadbed) and build a rational one (sorta like the interstate
highway system instead of the hodge-podge we have).  Set up a
national passenger service that actually moves passengers for transit
instead of an excursion service.  This requires high speed, concrete
set (not wooden crossties in gravel) rail bed.  Another use for the
highway trust fund money.

Start taxing fuel use, increasing it rather steeply until it's $5-6 a
gallon.

Require zoning law changes so that new construction MUST be
contiguous with current mass transit.  No more isolated suburbs, no
more way out in the country businesses -- we ain't gonna be driving
to work any more, we HAVE to be able to use mass transit.

A very large and annually repeating severance tax for converting farm
land to any other use.

I'm hoping that the severity of the fuel crisis will finally persuade
people that one should NOT take advice about zoning and community
development from people who make money off urban sprawl.

Probably not a snowball's chance in the bad place any of this will
happen, though, we all worship the "free market"....

Peter