Or, in fact, the suburbs of any major city in the US.  LA in
particular had a superb transit system until GM bought it in the
early 50's.  Gone in a few years, replaced with endless concrete.
Transit systems won't make money when people can also drive, as it
both lowers ridership and causes route insanity.  No mass transit
system can replace independent automobiles, for them to function
well, all the people need to be going to the same places at the same
time, as they did in the late 40's-- from home to downtown, where
they worked, and back home in the evening.  Any point to any point,
mass transit can't function.

Unfortunately, for the last 60 years or so we've been spreading
everything out with no rhyme or reason, and will have to un-do all
the construction and highway building we've done in order to have an
economy in the new age of limited oil.

Peter