Mitch wrote: "Government is a necessary evil. The more it sticks its nose where
it is not necessary for it to be involved, the more evil it becomes. The
problem is coming to an agreement over just what is a necessary gov't function."

I think it is time for some wisdom from someone who has offered many thoughts
on government:

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If
it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving,
subsidize it.'

'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a
government program.'-

'The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government
and I'm here to help.'-

I bet some of the more politically astute members of this list will be able to
discern the author.

Donald H. Snook