Aaron

You got the resistance part wrong. As the trace gets smaller the resistance
increases because the cross-section of the trace gets smaller. Electrical
resistance is bulk phenomenon, more cross-section less resistance. The
advantage of copper is that it has a lower bulk resistance. There is an
additional phenomenon that comes into play at the clock rates we are
talking about. This is impedance (the dynamic equivalent of resistance).
This is part of what slows down the rise of the clock or any other
signal.and also causes signal reflections that fouls signals up and looks
like noise in many ways. This phenomenon is very sensitive to the shape of
trace. A flat sheet and square trace of the same cross section have the
same resistance but quire different impedance. You are right that much of
this verges on Voodoo. When I was working with some of the first digital
designs in the 100-600 MHz range over 25 years ago we referred to it as
plumbing since we had to think in terms of Radio Frequency type design
techniques. I take my hat off to the current generation of chip designers.
They are working on the bleeding edge of digital circuit design.