> > At 10:50 AM 2/9/00 -0500, Jeff Woods wrote:
> > >You're bumping up against the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus here.   Pi
> > >DOES have a precisely defined value, but you cannot express it in decimal
>
> > >form.  You can express it as an infinite expansion, however.

Q: What does this have to do with fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem equates anti-derivitives with area.

This has more to do with the proof that there are numbers which cannot
be expressed as the ratio of integers (i.e. irrational numbers) due
originally to pythagroeus (SP), as well as the proof of the irrationality
of pi (due to Newton, I think).  The first is proved *long* before
the fundamental theorem, and is in some ways more fundamental.

-Lucas