On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 4:06 AM, Brian J. Beesley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On 11 Sep 00, at 23:43, Robert Deininger wrote:

>> Maybe non-prime95 results are so rare they aren't worth thinking about.
>
>(I take it you're using Prime95 as a general label covering mprime,
>NTPrime etc. as well i.e. everything generated from George Woltman's
>optimized assembler code)

I'm not sure what I meant.  Since I don't use any of the intel variants,
I'm not up on the lingo.  I guess I was thinking about the programs that
only allow manual check in.  Can all the intel versions talk to the server
automatically?

>(though I wonder why there are
>so few Macintosh users contributing results).

I don't know.  Does the mac program require manual check-out and check-in?
Those web pages are rather hard to find and are persnickety to work with.
Some of the options don't seem to work at all.  From what I've seen with
Mlucas, some folks will use any little excuse to give up.

>However, as a user
>running Mlucas on a couple of systems, I do most certainly consider
>that they _are_ worth "thinking about".

Agreed.  I _only_ use Mlucas.  But I don't know how far out in the
wilderness that leaves me.

>Double-checking at least a proportion of tests using independent
>hardware and software is surely highly desireable.

Yes.

>However it is true that, to the best of my knowledge, none of the
>"other" programs are capable of safely double-checking results
>produced by the same program.

Yes and no.  Mlucas is the same software no matter where it runs, but
runs on a wide range of hardware.  Two different hardware platforms are
probably ok to check each other, even with the same program.  We might
get a fairly independent check of the Mlucas software by forcing the
second run to use a non-default FFT size - but probably noone does that.