One more possibility to keep in mind for Athlons:  BIOS level
(and perhaps also which motherboard).

Don't have windows, so can't try the optimized prime95, but
have noticed on "timing runs" with the V20 mprime that my new
(ASUS A7M266) Athlon is now 2% slower than when I first got it.
The only explanation I can come up with is that hardware setup
by the BIOS is responsible for this difference.  (Nothing in my
system has changed since I started, except that I upgraded to the
latest BIOS -- and I typed in the exact same BIOS parameters as
I did originally.)  Perhaps the newer BIOS software has changed
in some manner that would explain the timing difference I saw.

mikus