Hi,

At 04:07 PM 9/30/2001 -0700, Daniel Swanson wrote:
>I went through the Cleared Exponents
>report looking for other examples of factors found during double-checks that
>should have been found during the initial factorization.
>  5977297  53  DF    6726544627832489
>  6019603  57  DF  137024179940485697
>  7019297  57  DF  160100125459121849
>  7020641  58  DF  226230108157229263
>  7025987  56  DF   74052063365823791
>  7027303  55  DF   31090234297428433
>10159613  56  DF   68279769831982367
>Were numbers in this range all originally factored by the same user or
>computer?

My logfiles from that long ago have been zipped and stored on CDROM.
It is possible that 7,010,000 - 7,030,000 were all factored by one person.
It was not uncommon for me to hand out large blocks for factoring to
users without Internet connections.  While I no longer do this, there are
a handful of users pre-factoring the 20,000,000 - 80,000,000 area.  I hope
their machines are reliable!!  They probably are as they are finding the
expected number of factors.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be a program bug as you were able to find
the factor with trial factoring.  I'm guessing either bad hardware or an older
prime95 version had a bug.  Either way, GIMPS has never considered
missing a factor as a big deal.  It only means some wasted effort running
a LL test that could have been avoided.

Thanks for the interesting findings!

Regards,
George