Steve Harris wrote:
> [...]

Actually... IIRC... George noted once that the database of
smallest KNOWN factors was just that... and did NOT
necessarily mean that it contained the smallest factors of
any given exponent...

There was a bug in a previous version (v19??) which caused
Prime95 to not continue trial-factoring to find a smaller
factor after one had been found and it had been stopped
(or went to sleep)... There was also the advent of P-1
factoring which does not necessarily find the smallest
factor, but instead finds factors comprised of lots of
small factors, and can therefore miss smaller factors which
does not have lots of small factors...

In this case... the database would not necessarily have the
smallest factor for every exponent with a factor found... but
instead the smallest KNOWN factor... which is not necessarily
the smallest factor for that exponent...

Eric