On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:52:42 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>However if it could be established that all the "missed" factors
>reported were the work of one user, perhaps it would be worth fixing
>the database to force rerunning of trial factoring for those factoring
>assignments run by that user when the exponents are reassigned
>for double checking (or LL testing).

Given the scale of the bad results (probably a fair bit over 60
exponents, at a rough guess), if I were king, I would just block the
responsible user until I got a reasonable exponent.

Many of the numbers listed in the original post, however, are already
behind the "main front" of double-checking.  Of course, we would only
expect to be finding those that are, but I'd guess no more than
200-300 exponents are involved (and likely less).  If it was a
computer error of some sort, I wouldn't expect to see that many
errors.

That said, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that some versions of
Windows always give the same memory range to the same program (the
context was that what appears to be an error in a given program may
cause major general problems under Linux).  If that is the case, is it
possible that every time Prime95 on a given system started up its
executable was loaded on top of a bad range of memory in just such a
way as to make it impossible to find a factor (say, by changing the
expected output of the function when one is found).  This is
speculation on my part, of course, but I think it's worth
mentioning....

Nathan