Brian Beesley wrote

>Ah, but George's GIMPS stats encourage factoring by removing LL
>testing credit when a factor is subsequently found. (Either you
>should have done more factoring before you started LL testing, or
>the factoring you did was expensive!)

Okay then, I just turned this in

7213061 67 DF 168956092713627344887 04-Dec-01 13:18 labrat04

How do we confirm the original tester has now *lost* this credit?

>Nathan Russell wrote

>At 07:57 PM 12/2/2001 +0000, Gordon Spence wrote:
> >A particularly sore point. If we maintained a top "savers" list whereby
> >for every factor found you were credited with the time an LL test would
> >have taken, then I and the other "Lone Mersenne Hunters" would pulverise
> >these big university teams.
>
>Should George get credit for eliminating all those composite exponents when
>he made his initial list in the mid-1990's?

Yes of course he should!

>He probably found over a dozen times as many composites in (at a guess)
>under two minutes than we'll EVER find, at least until the project is
>extended past 80M.

The Lone Mersenne Hunters are searching right up to that limit, the only
reason we don't go any higher is because the current version of Prime maxes
out at 79.999M...

Ernst Mayer wrote:

>OK, the San Francisco Bay area GIMPS get-together will
>take place this coming Friday, 7. December, in the south
>bay area (precise venue to be decided soon - see below.)
>Any GIMPS participant or Mersenne prime fan is welcome
>to join us, along with anyone else you'd like to bring -
>this is not a formal party.For those not coming from the San Jose area,
>the venue
>will be close to a Caltrain station, and hence should be
>reachable from e.g. SFO airport or other outlying areas.
>I'm also going to try to arrange what ridesharing I can,
>so if you can provide a ride or need a ride, please let
>me know. I looks like several folks from far-flung places
>will be attending, so should be a quite interesting
>company. Alas, Luke Welsh can't attend, but he suggested
>several venues, two of which form my short list.
>
>1) Tied House, Mountain View
>2) Faultline Brewery, Sunnyvale
>
>1) is very close to a Caltrain station; 2) supposedly
>has very good food.

I can vouch for the fact that the food is in fact excellent, and the creme
caramel a speciality. Considering it's CA they make not a bad attempt at
brewing beer either! Unfortunately my next visit to San Jose is not till
the week before Xmas, so it's cold,wet and dark UK for me...but I'll have a
virtual pint with you ;-)

regards

Gordon
M2976221 is still the largest prime listed in Knuth by the way ;-)