From: Russel Brooks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 9:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mersenne: christmas computer system?

I'm giving my brother's family a new computer for christmas.
He'll buy it from a local (to him) 'white box' pc store and I'll
pay for it.  I am a little concerned about performance because
the pc will probably be running GIMPS and I'd like to get my
money's worth.  It's easy to request a P4 in the 2.0-2.5 range
and 256M-512M of memory but I've read of the bottleneck caused
by slow memory and the bus between memory and cpu and I don't
know what to specify or how to evaluate components in this area
or measure performance after the pc is built.

Any comments or suggestions?

I want them to have a fast machine but not on the bleeding
(expensive) edge.

Other than GIMPS I'm sure my nephew will be the heaviest load
when he plays games on the new machine.

I think I should also request the video card has all of it's own
memory, right?  I don't want the video to share the main memory
for performance reasons, right?

Cheers... Russ

DIGITAL FREEDOM! --> http://www.eff.org/