> > the fastest P4 cpus have a rated FSB of 533 (which is 266*2).   running
the
> > bus at 333(666) would be overclocking.
>
> Ah, but most modern mobos can run the memory asynchronously to the
processor
> bus. I think this goes back some way - certainly the Abit KT7A board
(Athlon)
> could run the memory bus at either FSB or FSB+PCI rate ...
>
> So you _can_ run memory at 166 MHz double-pumped and the FSB at 133 MHz
> quad-pumped without over- or under-clocking anything.

ok, true.  I forgot VIA is allowing this.  AFAIK, the i845pe doesn't support
memory faster than the CPU FSB (it allows SLOWER memory, the older i845e
only supported 100/200Mhz DDR w/a 133/266/533 CPU bus).

I have had so many bad experiences with VIA based systems and poor PCI and
AGP I/O performance that it will be a long time before I consider one again,
regardless of claimed CPU benchmark performance.