On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 12:55 -0800, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM, José Fonseca <jfons...@vmware.com> wrote:

> >> This would have to be checked on Windows.  I think the x86 dispatch
> >> code is sensitive to the Windows calling conventions implied by
> >> GLAPIENTRY.
> >
> > Brian is right.
> >
> > GLAPI controls symbol visibility, both on unices (i.e.,
> > _attribute__((visibility("default")))) and windows (i.e.,
> > _declspec(dllexport).
> >
> > GLAPIENTRY controls the calling convention (i.e., __stdcall presence or
> > absence).
> >
> > This can be easily seen on top of GL/GL.h.
> >
> > So in summary, GLAPI can and probably should be removed for _mesa_*
> > functions. GLAPIENTRY cannot.
>
> Ok, from all this I didn't see anything against enabling
> -fvisibility-hidden by default so I've committed the patch.  Also, the
> _mesa_* entrypoints are only GLAPIENTRY, not GLAPI, so they are
> already hidden.

FWIW I also think that-fvisibility-hidden by default is a good a thing.
It's been ages ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I recall that when I was
doing some work on Xgl there were problems because mesa internal symbols
in the GL driver were colliding with Xorg's GLcore extension or
something along those lines.

Jose