On 11 jan 2010, at 17.49, Zack Rusin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> knowing that we're starting to have serious issues with figuring out
> what
> features the given device supports and what api's/extensions can be
> reasonably
> implemented on top of it I've spent the weekend trying to define
> feature
> levels. Feature levels were effectively defined by the Direct3D
> version numbers.
> Attached is a patch and documentation for the feature levels. I'm also
> attaching gallium_feature_levels.rst file which documents what each
> feature
> level means and what apis can be reasonably supported by each (I
> figured it's
> going to be easier to look at it outside the diff).
>
> There's a few features that are a bit problematic, in no particular
> order:
> - unnormalized coordinates, we don't even have a cap for those right
> now but
> since that feature doesn't exist in direct3d (all coords are always
> normalized
> in d3d) the support for it is hard to define in term of a feature
> level
> - two-sided stencil - d3d supports it in d3d10 but tons of hardware
> supported
> it earlier
> - extra mirror wrap modes - i don't think mirror repeat was ever
> supported and
> mirror clamp was removed in d3d10 but it seems that some hardware
> kept support
> for those
> - shadow maps - it's more of an "researched guess" since it's
> largely based on
> a format support, but as far as i can tell all d3d10 hardware
> supports it,
> earlier it varies (e.g. nvidia did it for ages)
>
> I think the other stuff is acceptable. Take a look at the docs and
> let me know
> what you think.

Hmm I don't think you should remove the CAPs but instead just say if
level X then CAPs Y,Z,W,Q are assumed to be present. This way the
hardware that fall between the cracks can expose one level plus the
extra CAPs it can do.

Another thing level 3 and below harder can not do ARB_npot but they
can do NV_texture_rect, the only hardware we have drivers that this
matter for is nv30 (I think) and r300.

Cheers Jakob.