On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 06:33 -0800, Roland Scheidegger wrote:

> 5
> (2000)
> Yes
> >> DX 7 didn't have any shader model IIRC. DX8/8.1 introduced shader
> models
> >> 1.0-1.3/1.4.
> >
> > Yea, that level should be gone.
> Though thinking about this, maybe we should keep a level below lowest
> dx9 feature level, since gallium drivers exist which are pretty low on
> the feature scale (like the nv04/10/20). I don't know how well they'll
> ever going to work, since they'd need the fixed function fragment
> operations out of tgsi, but maybe we shouldn't prevent it by forcing
> them to announce support of fragment shaders.

The base level of gallium functionality included fragment shaders from
the start, these early nv drivers don't really change that.

In my view these are a speculative bet that with a lot of effort it is
possible to turn shaders back into fixed-function, but supporting that
isn't a design goal for gallium as a whole.

Keith