On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Keith Whitwell <kei...@vmware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 22:30 -0800, Luca Barbieri wrote:
>> > I left out depth/stencil attachment because I could not think of a good
>> > reason
>> > for it.  Do you have an example that it is better to ask the display
>> > server for
>> > a depth/stencil buffer than asking the pipe driver?
>> I'm not sure about this. I mostly added it just because the old driver
>> stack asks DRI2 for it.
>> On second thought, it may be better to do it with the pipe driver.
>> This would prevent sharing the depth buffer with other application,
>> but I don't think any compositor/application uses this.
> Theoretically an application could create a direct and indirect context
> targetting the same window.  Under those circumstances, there should be
> only a single depth buffer shared between the contexts.
I guess I will leave out depth/stencil attachment for now.  The interface does
not imply direct or indirect rendering, but all native displays use direct
rendering right now.  It should be easy to add depth/stencil attachment if
there is a new native display that needs it.  (Actually, in my early work,
there was a depth/stencil attachment.  It was removed and there is a comment
saying that only color attachments are included intentionally.)