I posted something similar some time ago, that however could use
hardware accelerated drivers with DRI2 or KMS, provided a substantial
set of helpers and offered a complement of 3 demos.

My solution to window-system issues was to simply have the application
provide a "draw" callback to the framework, which would automatically
create a maximized window with the application name in the title, and
call draw in a loop, presenting the results.

Then I had a path that woud use the X DRI2 interface if possible, and
another path that would use the Linux DRM KMS API (and initially some
EGL+ad-hoc extension paths that were later dropped).

It no longer works due to Gallium interface changes, but maybe it can
be resurrected and merged with graw.

However, there is a disadvantage to having Gallium programs in-tree:
they break every time the Gallium interface in changed and avoiding
that means that in addition to fixing all drivers and state trackers,
you also need to fix all programs for each change