Hi Mike,

On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 08:02:00 +0200, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> I managed to get it booting with some manual work.
>
> - The meta-xilinx overlay delivers the ATF and PMU firmware.
> - My own layer delivers u-boot and kernel and devicetree for my own board
>
> The FSBL I've manually built using Vivado/SDK. The trick to get that working
> was that Vivado version >= 2017.1 was required. It doesn't work (any more)
> with the 2016 versions. I installed 2017.2 and only then the FSBL was able
> to load the PMU and ATF. Apparently there's a dependency there.
>
> So all that is left is to automate the process of generating fsbl and
> boot.bin.
>
> I'm pretty sure this can be done using just u-boot, since u-boot has support
> for ATF loading and, as I gather from various commits, the PMU as well. It
> can also create a boot.bin without the aid of bootgen. It provides the
> first-stage loader as well.
> However, it seems to a well-kept secret how to actually integrate the PMU. I
> can generate a bootloader this way, but I don't know where to put the ATF
> and PMU. I suspect they're to be stored in a FIT image.

I cannot help much with a SPL-based flow, but generally, ATF and PMUFW
go into the boot.bin (see below for a sample bif file that could be used
with bootgen). In that case, the PMUFW will be loaded by ROM code, so
that should work independently of whether you use SPL or FSBL, but ATF
etc. are loaded by the FSBL in the Xilinx boot flow and I don't know how
that works in the SPL flow. The bl31.elf is the ATF, bl32.elf would be,
a, optional, TEE (e.g. OP-TEE).

boot.bif:
  the_ROM_image:
  {
      [fsbl_config] a5x_x64
      [pmufw_image] xpfw.elf
      [bootloader] fsbl.elf
      [destination_cpu=a53-0,exception_level=el-3,trustzone] bl31.elf
      [destination_cpu=a53-0,exception_level=el-2] u-boot.elf
      [destination_cpu=a53-0,exception_level=el-1,trustzone] bl32.elf
  }

I think the syntax is changing a bit. I also have another .bif that
specifies the bootloader like this:
  [destination_cpu=a53-0, bootloader] zynqmp_fsbl.elf

I hope it helps a little bit.

        Sören