I'm also unable to run `bitbake -c menuconfig "virtual/bootloader". I think
I run into a similar error as this SO post (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43211384/how-to-get-to-menuconfig-for-u-boot-in-yocto-environment
)

ERROR: Task do_menuconfig does not exist for target virtual/bootloader
(/local/d4/gstark/meta-xilinx/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-xlnx_2017.1.bb:do_menuconfig).
Close matches:
  do_configure
ERROR: Command execution failed: 1

Giordon