Thanks for the pointer to import snapshot command.  Works like a charm.

I'm now trying to figure out if there's a way to eliminate the 1 pixel black
border that surrounds the stack window (Macintosh), even when the
decorations of the stack are set to empty.  Is there any way to do this?

(I'm trying to "fake" the appearance of an irregularly shaped window sitting
on the desktop -- it appears that if I can get rid of the black border, the
illusion will be perfect.)

Thanks in advance,

Scott