Thanks for the various responses on- and offlist. A number of questions
remain.

Among others
Tuviah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Mon, 9 Apr 2001 in response to the
respective paragraph in my message "2.4 quantum leap":

> >I hope the new helpfiles will be out soon with detailed information
> >about the syntax of the new features, e.g. about the new visual effects,
> >which I could try out only partially (where do you find the
> >"4CC"-abbreviations and what are the special options numbers for the QT
> >effects?
> Use the qteffects function to get a list of installed QT effects.

I had already done this, but there is at least no information about the
"4CC" four-character-codes.

> >How do I work with the saved files of the "answer effect"
> >substack?
> You shouldn't need to. It should return the effect name, a comma, and the
> option. For instance if you select the wipe effect using the dialog box
> you'll notice a wipe type option box. Say I select "top right", and close
> the box, variable it should now contain
>
> Wipe,4
>
> You then plug those two into the visual effect command like so:
> visual effect wipe option 4
>
> Tuviah

This is an essential information not contained in the 2.4 readme,
thanks. Klaus Major additionally informed to find this information in
the msg, where I have to type "put it" to retrieve it. Isn't this
procedure circumstantial? Shouldn't the option number been shown
immediately in the answer-effect dialog?

Then there are those effects where certain parameters that can be
manipulated (in fields and/or with sliders), like the zoomcenter of the
zoom effect or the horizontal and vertical repeats of the matrix  wipe
effect. Such special parameters can be previewed in the preview window,
but how do I get them to work in a script? The option number returned
remains the same, not varying with different parameters.

Saving such effects with changed parameters - under a different name -
and then using the name of the saved effect in the visual command
results in *no* effect. Maybe this is not yet implemented? Isn't this
what the "Save" and "load" buttons of the "answer effect dialog" are
for?.-

Even without these effects with changed parameters, there remain a
multitude of new and interesting effects which I like very much. This
*is" a valuable addition to the possibilities of Metacard.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke