--On Tuesday, December 24, 2002 00:27:41 -0600 Chipp Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

	b) be certified as 'safe' by a reputable 3rd party (the Microsoft
approach).

My thinking on the subject is that a 3rd party could build a player and
infrastructure for registering (certifying) stacks. Then the player would
check in with the 3rd party to verify the signature of the certification.
At the minimum, all unsigned stacks would be pre-empted by a warning
notice such as: "This program is unsigned and could possibly damage your
computer!"
This is what tripped me in your previous message too, and this is what I was referring to as the illusion of security being worse then no security at all.
I can see dr Kissinger (or OJ) running such an enterprise.

Regards, Andu Novac