Ground level sonics are a very good indicator that meteorites were produced. However, the absence of sonics doesn't argue against meteorites at all.

In all likelihood, the majority of meteorite falls are not preceded with either a significant fireball nor any acoustics. We are subject to a very strong observation bias because those tend to be the only sort of events where we can actually correlate meteors to meteorites. And of course, such meteorites represent only a tiny fraction of the total.

Regardless of any other factors, fireballs that display either a massive terminal explosion or multiple fragmentation events along their paths warrant close examination as potential meteorite producers.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com