In article <mailman.70.1325623817.3721.meth...@net.bio.net>,
hroyc...@nmsu.edu says...

> Since you say you have few questions, I am assuming that you are quite
> certain about your composition. PBS stands for "Phosphate buffered
> saline" so it is NaCl, not KCl. Usually we use Na-salts for the
> phosphate combination. Potassium phosphate and -biphosphate may be
> used, but for all practical purposes it is Na- that is preferred since
> lot of compounds do not go well with K+

Actually no - PBS (in the strict sense) is designd to resemble the
extracellular fluid, and hence contains both Na and K:

                      mM    g/l
 NaCl                   137     8.01
 KCl            2.7     0.20
 Na2HPO4 ? 2 H2O        10      1.78
 KH2PO4                 2.0     0.27

Depending on application, Mg and Ca may also be added (e.g., Dulbecco's
PBS). Even closer to extracellular fluid is the Krebs-Henseleit
solution, which also contains glucose and bicarbonate.

Btw, if one wants to work with intracellular enzymes, PBS should not be
used, and replaced with a high K, low Na medium!