I've been searching for what I think is to replace the make 'config, menuconfig, xconfig' tools in the 2.6 kernel. I can't find it and there is a blurb about it in the Linux Journal (march issue). When I get home I'll research it and let you know.
As for getting all the devices and support into a new kernel there's no tool that can solve that for you. I typically do this:
Boot the machine and direct the output of dmesg to a file 'dmesg > ~/dmesg.output.
Go through dmesg line by line. Keep what you need and remove what you don't.
The important thing is you need to know a bit about your hardware. The dmesg output of a typical base install will have support for most/all devices even if they are not present. Go to the site that made the pc/laptop and find the make/model and it 'should' list the devices that are present.
With the dmesg output and the list of devices present in the machine a kernel compile with support for only what you need shouldn't take too much time. make menuconfig, is for me, the fastest way to get through it.
So what's the root issue your having with your kernel's maybe we can hash it out before the next meeting?
Jim Doherty wrote:
Sean Dague wrote:
Walking through the kernel config would actually be a really good idea for aI hope you can find someone willing to give the talk, I would be very interested in attending. I've been playing around with some of the newer 2.4 and 2.5 kernels and while I have the basic process down pretty good I find 'make config | make xconfig | make menuconfig' to be something of a messy blackbox. There doesn't appear to be a good analysis available that helps simplify the mess of picking what things you need based on your system. I've been busy trying to get a kernel compiled with ext3, lvm, scsi, networking, framebuffer support, & all the junk in my system without the best of luck.
talk. Anyone interested in giving that one?
-Sean
Jim Doherty
_______________________________________________ mhvlug mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug
_______________________________________________ mhvlug mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug
