--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:39:19PM -0500, Jim Doherty wrote:
> I hope you can find someone willing to give the talk,  I would be very=20
> interested in attending.  I've been playing around with some of the=20
> newer 2.4 and 2.5 kernels and while I have the basic process down pretty=
=20
> good I find  'make config | make xconfig | make menuconfig' to be=20
> something of a messy blackbox.    There doesn't appear to be a good=20
> analysis available that helps simplify the mess of picking what things=20
> you need based on your system.   I've been busy trying to get a kernel=20
> compiled with ext3, lvm, scsi,  networking, framebuffer support, & all=20
> the junk in my system without the best of luck.   =20

There is definitely a lack of mapping all the right devices for your system
back to the kernel options.  What I have found as the easiest way to
approach this is to start with whatever kernel came with your distro
(assuming that it pretty well met the needs of all your hardware).  Grab the
=2Econfig file from its kernel, plop that into your new kernel source tree,
and run 'make oldconfig'.

make oldconfig does a best attempt at matching all the options in the
current config file, with the options for the new kernel you are building
against.  It will stop and ask you questions if it can't make a good guess
(usually the options have either help (?) or a good default).

When in doubt, compile everything as modules.  There is superstition that
this makes your kernel slower... it really doesn't.  Plus it provides a
whole lot of flexibility down the road, which is really nice.

Also remember that very few distributions ship a vanilla 2.4 kernel.  Some
have hundreds of patches applied to the kernel to enable new devices,
filesystems, or other features which have not yet been accepted into 2.4
base.  So going from a distro kernel, to one from kernel.org, may loose you
a bunch of functionality not just because the config doesn't line up, but
because the features aren't in a vanilla kernel yet.  This is especially
true for things like ext3, which only mainlined in 2.4.20 (IIRC), but have
been shipping with many distributions for years.

        -Sean

--=20
_______________________________________________________________________
                        =09
Sean Dague                [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://dague.net

There is no silver bullet.  Plus, werewolves make better neighbors than
zombies, and they tend to keep the vampire population down.
_______________________________________________________________________

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
Content-Disposition: inline

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE+bhIYSamXem9TdyYRAm0DAJ4+aEgi+MyOxvBQlAaJbYilPJdu0QCdFYiM
YtKck0SrTorBS5Z+45ro4IE=
=b0EZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50--
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to