On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 08:15, Sean Dague wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:14:48PM -0700, Kevin Calman wrote:
> > --- Sean Dague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 04:32:16PM +0000, William B.
> > > Keane wrote:
> > > > Sean,
> > > > 
> > > > Don't we need by-laws first.
> > > > How about calling for an organizing committee?
> > > 
> > > Do you have pointers to by-laws of other LUGs?  If
> > > so, can you send them to
> > > the list?  
> > 
> > Here's Austin's:
> > http://austinlug.org/staticpages/index.php?page=20020517100547302
> 
> Article I - NAME
> 
> This organization shall be known as Austin Linux Group, Inc., a nonprofit
> educational corporation. 
> 
> ...
> 
> MHVLUG isn't a legal entity yet.  So I would propose that we elect officers
> first, and that one of their main jobs from now till the end of the year is
> the process of actually incorporating.  This process requires bylaws for the
> corporation.
> 
> It seems like we have a chicken and an egg problem here.  I think officers
> first, and incorportation (and hence formal bylaws) second, makes more sense
> to me, as articles of incorporation need to include "board members".  Mike,
> correct me if I'm wrong.

It is true that you need 3 initial directors or board members before you
can incorporate, at least in NY. As far as by-laws, for the
incorporation, you only need a mission statement, so they wouldn't be
required.

> I've also tended to model MHVLUG after NYLUG, which is a very successful LUG
> in NYC.  All they have is the following:
> http://www.nylug.org/aboutus/index.shtml, so I'm not sure that we need
> anything more than that until/unless we incorporate.
> 
> Thoughts?
> 
>       -Sean
>  
-- 
Michael Chase-Salerno           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IBM Linux Technology Center     Poughkeepsie, NY 
Advanced Linux Response Team    http://www.ibm.com/linux

_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to