_Replying to a message_:

 By:  Fred Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To:  Holger Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 On:  25-Apr-00 12:54:01
 Re:  [MiamiDx] Re: Get time from.. Broken in 1.0b?

Hi Fred,

>> I live at GMT+0930 (normal time) and GMT+1030 (daylight savings).
>> There is no point on the Locale map to pick GMT+1030.  And doesn't
>> that actually change more than just the time though?  I don't know
>> about the Amiga, but on other computers, the same type of
>> configuration option sets a few other variables.

> AFAIK it affects nothing but the timezone.  If it wanted to affect
> additional things (e.g. language) it would need finer resolution than
> entire timezones.
>
> It sounds like you need a tool other than Prefs/Locale to set it,
> though. Tools intended for automatic adjustment can typically be used
> manually as well, but you have to be aware of just exactly what they
> do and don't set.

Can Locale be hacked/patched to add this?  Or the variables it sets?

> That central Australian timezone always puzzled me, anyway.  There's
> some justification for half- and quarter-hour timezones in small
> countries where the nominal one-hour reference meridian lies
> completely outside the border, but whoever decided to put the entire
> central part of Australia in a half-hour zone was a pervert. :-)

<GRIN>

The invention, and implementation of daylight savings even more so.  The
trouble is, if we used the one of the timezones of the states either
side of us, daylight hours would be too out of whack.  As far as living
beings are concerned, there's good reason to keep the clock synchronised
with the sun's position.  Of course, you'd need to reset the clock
several times a year.  At least, for me, as I work for myself (at home),
I don't tie my life to the clock.  I do things at the moment that feels
right.

But when it comes to equipment, a fixed time is much better idea.  The
UNIX approach of always /using/ GMT, and simply /re-rendering/ the
display of time and dates into local time, is much better.  Doing things
that way means you shouldn't get problems caused when creating files
around the time of daylight savings changeover either.

Bye,
Tim.  (B.A. T.L.M.N.)

--

  http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/tim_seifert/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia)

Video productions, electronics engineering, service and technical
support, and more.  For further information visit the web site.

***  DO  NOT  SEND  JUNK  MAIL  ***